As someone who has done a bunch of research on every type of diet, fad diet & trend – tried some and scoffed at a whole lot of others, I wanted to create a space where the facts are simple. I don’t necessarily believe in following a strict diet, but I know that it works really well for others. As always, I follow a pretty strict ‘each to their own’ mentality over here, as long as you’re being smart & sensible, you do you!
A diet I knew very little about prior to this research is the DASH diet, or the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension diet.
How It Works
The DASH diet has been designed for those who have experienced or are currently experiencing issues with high blood pressure. The diet came about after realising that people who were vegan and vegetarian would eat more fruit & vegetables were less likely to experience high blood pressure due to the plant-based diet. Similar to the Keto & Paleo diets, DASH also focuses on whole foods. After doing further research into the DASH diet, I found that it has been ranked as the best diet in the world for over 8 years.
What You Eat More Of
- Fruit & Vegetables
- Lean meat, chicken & fish
- Low-fat/No-fat dairy
- Nuts & seeds
What You Eat Less Of
- Full-fat dairy
- Red meat
- Fatty oils (like coconut oil)
- Weightloss if following the recommended intake of food.
- Stopping Hypertension and high blood pressure.
- Lowers risk of diabetes and heart disease.
- The diet can be restrictive due to a strong focus on no added salts & sugars.
- The diet can be expensive as not many pre-prepared meals and services cater to this diet.
- It’s not necessarily used to guide weightloss – so requires a bit of extra effort if that is your goal.
Who To Follow For Inspiration
Surprisingly I found it difficult to find anyone who follows this diet that is promoting in on their profile! What I did find though, is an article explaining why it hasn’t caught on yet. Keep in mind, this is in America and our healthcare system here in Australia is better. Given that usually we hear about diets & tricks in America first though, this could be why it hasn’t ‘caught on’ despite it being the best diet.
Again, we don’t recommend or dis-credit any diets here – just presenting the facts! If you have any questions, feel free to comment below! Stay tuned for more diets coming soon!