Since I posted my Peanut Butter Protein Balls recipe a couple of weeks ago, it has quickly become one of my most read posts here on the blog! Who knew that easy-to-make, healthy recipes were so popular (okay, it probably makes sense now that I think about it). I have been experimenting with some different protein ball (and other snack) recipes and will be sharing them with you more frequently in the new year.
Given that there is no way that I could single-handedly consume 18 protein balls in a week, I asked my co-workers to vote on a flavour for this week’s treat and they picked Coconut Rough. I was pretty happy about this as coconut and chocolate is one of my favourite combinations, and not only does it replicate a delicious Coconut Rough, it also tastes pretty similar to one of my favourite childhood party treats – the iconic Chocolate Crackle. It’s also much healthier than both!
Similar to the last recipe, it was important that the recipe was quick, easy, and didn’t require too many appliances or utensils (I hate cleaning up and don’t have much time in the week to make snacks).
It’s also a priority for me to make the recipe accessible. If you come across it, I want to know that if you’re vegan, gluten-free or have issues with dairy, you’ll be able to eat them, enjoy them, and get a great hit of protein without compromising on taste.
I hope you love these protein balls as much as I do. The chia seeds give them a nice crunch while the topping makes them so decadent, like you’ve just bought them from the confectionary aisle!
Coconut Rough Protein Balls | Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Protein Powder - Either Vanilla Or Chocolate We used Planet Food Vegan protein powder in vanilla
- 3 Tbsp Cacao
- 3 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 3 Tbsp Oats You can choose between steel cut, rolled or quick oats. We used quick oats for this recipe.
- 3 Tbsp Agave Or another liquid sweetener like honey or rice malt syrup
- 1/4 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips To keep the recipe vegan, make sure these are dairy free
- 2 Tbs Coconut Oil
- Extra Desiccated Coconut
- Extra Dark Chocolate Chips
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry protein powder ingredients (coconut, protein power, cacao, chia seeds, and oats).
- Add the agave and mix until well combined.
- In the microwave, melt the coconut oil and dark chocolate chips together. Stir to combine.
- Slowly add half the chocolate mixture to the dry mix stirring as you go. If your mixture is too dry, add the other half of the mixture. If it is too wet, add some more protein powder.
- Roll the mixture into balls using the palms of your hands. It will feel quite loose, but they will harden as the chocolate mixture solidifies. Place the balls on a tray lined with baking paper and leave in the fridge or fridge to set.
- While the balls are setting, melt the extra dark chocolate chips in the microwave. Prepare the extra desiccated coconut on a small plate.
- Take the balls out of the fridge, dip into the melted chocolate and then into the coconut. Place back onto the tray and into the fridge to set.
- Once set, these will store in a container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
I’d love to know how you found this recipe and whether or not you made any changes to it! Also, what flavours would you like us to try next? Let us know below.